This is a step-by-step procedure for installing FreeFileSync on Ubuntu, aimed at beginners or users who rarely worked with PPAs (Personal Package Archives) before.
Please note: this guide applies to Ubuntu Karmic (9.10), Lucid (10.04), Maverick (10.10) and later versions.
- Add FreeFileSync PPA to your Software Sources
Navigate to System ▸ Administration ▸ Software Sources
- Navigate to the Third Party Software tab and hit the Add… button.
- Paste ppa:freefilesync/ffs into the entry box of the following popup to add our repository to the list of software sources. Then click on Add Source. Close the window.
- When prompted to Reload the information about available software press Reload and wait for the operation to complete.
- Now, just install FreeFileSync
- After the end of the installation process, you can start FreeFileSync for the first time using the menu entry Applications ▸ Accessories ▸ FreeFileSync
Note (2010-05-10): FreeFileSync 3.6 will be the last version available for Ubuntu Karmic 9.10. Upgrade to Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 to get last version of FFS.